Decorative Chaos - Seasonal Transitioning

RUSHING THINGS ALONG
Instead of cleaning this weekend, I managed to introduce some unnecessary chaos into my home. After a little too much shopping at TJMaxx, HomeGoods and Marshall's, I ended up with quite a few new Christmas decor pieces that were unplanned impulse buys. 

 Instead of bringing those items home, unpacking them and stashing them away until after Thanksgiving, I started to strategically place them around the house, experimenting with different stylings. Then, as one sometimes does, I got tired, bored and distracted. My new purchases are scattered in the living room, dining room and kitchen - all awaiting their permanent place along side the fall decor that's still prominently displayed.

 I suddenly realized that I've become as bad as the retailers who push along holidays and seasons earlier and earlier each year. 

  Often times when I'm out and about during the month of July and see fall decor and pumpkins making their pre-season debut, I silently reproach the stores for speeding through summer before its had a chance to start. Prior to Halloween each year, the stores are sneaking in Santas and snowflakes with a random Christmas song thrown into the Muzak rotation. Rush, rush, rushing things along. 

With all the self-help books chanting "Mindfulness" and living in the moment, our environment promotes the exact opposite. Now my house remains in limbo...full-on fall decor with a slight push of tinsel and trees thrown into the mix. I couldn't wait for fall to arrive and now I'm pushing it right out the door before Thanksgiving in favor of decking the halls with boughs of holly. And as with every year that passes, I find myself ready to strip the house of holiday decor on December 26th...and start looking toward spring. 

A Thanksgiving pillow, a mercury glass Christmas tree and a summer fan with roses. Decorative chaos.

A tinsel-skirt dress form and summer roses. Decorative chaos.

Comments

Popular Posts